Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Step 4. Read a lot of books on how to grow money


To tell the truth, this whole quest for big bucks has been accidental. As in, I didn't plan this, it just sort of happened. Once I was strolling in a mall, sorting through their book sale and I chanced upon this great sale: a book by Suze Orman called "The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom." It's original price was in dollars that if converted to pesos, would probably cost more or less P1,500.00, but they were giving it away for just P150.00! Now, I was not the type to pass up that good an offer, so the rest was history... Or history in the making (as the case may be).

I was hooked from the first pages so I decided that this was the one book on financial management that I was gonna read to the last page. Well, I didn't. But can't say I didn't try. Thing is, I liked the part that I can understand (like the first three chapters) until the author started talking about stocks, bonds, the stock market, interests and mutual funds and how they all work and I felt I was gonna give myself vertigo, so...

Well, the point is that, that book got me started in this whole quest business - the quest to make me rich, richer than I could ever hope for. It gave me an idea, that blossomed into a plan, that is now being religiously carried out by moi. The plan - the concrete plan - is to save and invest money so that it can grow to take care of my needs and the needs of those I love. Suze said that that is the most powerful and respecful way there is to earn money. That concept alone was the turning point of my otherwise humdrum, easy-go-lucky, devil-may-care life wherein I had no savings and investments to show for and no plans for a better future. I simply squandered my hard-earned money before - buying stuff I don't even need.

I'm also planning to get another book. This one from Francisco Colayco called "Wealth Within Your Reach." I've heard a lot of buzz that it's good and it's got a sequel now. I'm sure it will be just as helpful to me in my quest.

No comments: