Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Quest

This is a quest to find out if it is indeed possible to break away from the chains of poverty in the third world country. How can a single girl, working as a clerk in one of the offices of the Philippine national government, be able to make herself richer beyond her wildest imaginations? This, without engaging in morally demeaning tactics and desperate measures?

As a minimum wage earner, I have become virtually acquainted with the ails and limitations brought forth by poverty. Life in poverty is no way to live. I know this because I live in a third world country where opening your pretty brown eyes means you'll have to see evil and suffering all around and that's hard to bear. It means you'll have to seeth in rage by the way politicians and the government seem to take it all in stride that their people hardly have anything to eat while their own tables overflow. Shame on them. And shame on me for becoming part of all of that. For choosing to shut my eyes and turn my head away because I'm in no position and have no resources to help the poor. Why? Because I, myself, am poor. There's no shame in being born poor, but the shame lies in wanting to help but being unable to.

Thus, explains the whole cause of this quest. And, of course, snagging that humungous house in Tagaytay overlooking the magnificent Taal Lake wouldn't hurt as well.

The big question is, can I pull this off? We'll get to that part eventually.

Meanwhile, here's me taking a big leap for a first step:

Step 1: GET STARTED.

No comments: